Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Educational Philosophy of Dr.Paul Rux


Educational Philosophy of Dr. Paul Rux

Abraham Maslow’s classic “Hierarchy of Needs” states my philosophy as an educator.  It builds a “pyramid” of human needs.  At the base is our need for physical, emotional security.  The next level is our need for healthy social relationships.  The top level is “self-actualization,” the need for us to “sing if we are singers, write if we are writers, and dance if we are dancers.  Successful living is fully recognizing, respecting, developing, and applying our God-given talents.  The person who has fully developed his or her talents will be able to best transform society for the best than somebody who has “missed” himself or herself by not fully developing and applying their God-given talents.  “Self-actualization” is key.

As an educator of adult learners since 1996, onsite and online, I have come to realize that as a rule students come to us because they have a “dream,” which, in essence, centers on “self-actualization.”  The subject matter is a means to this end.  When I started teaching online in 1999, I found students were more willing to share their “dreams” of self-actualization with me through the privacy of course emails.  Yes, some also factored challenges from lack of basic security and social support.  More than ever, online “opened my eyes” to the central importance of “self-actualization” to my philosophy of education and ethical duties as an educator.  I now encourage my online students to share their career “dreams” with me, as well as their career history, so I can better energize them with “self-actualization.

Socrates saw this when he noted our first order of business is to “Know thyself.”  To which Maslow and I add, respect yourself and fully develop yourself.  Human needs have not changed over the centuries, whether it involves Socratic dialogs on a bench or over course posts, especially private emails.  I love it!

No comments: