Friday, September 10, 2010

Saint Lawrence Seminary High School 2010

My three-day inspection visit of St. Lawrence Seminary High School, or SLS, was unbelievable!

I had no idea such high educational quality still existed in North America.

Besides its stellar academic standards, SLS is unique for another reason, which relates directly to our course of study.

Here it is.

About 60% of its students are Asian, directly from Asia, or of Asian-American birth. Koreans, Vietnamese, Chinese, Hmongs, Philippines, Indians, etc. are the majority.

As a result, the white, black, Native American students there have an international immersion course in how to work with persons of Asian heritage, backgrounds, values, etc.

This is priceless!

Since the Asian students come from different countries with distinct cultural identities, the Asian students must also learn how to work with each other too!

SLS puts huge emphasis on "social skills."

Developing such skills enables these boarding students to live with each other, work together, and bond with each other to create a fantastic esprit de corps.

In our global economy today, such "social skills" - and the related social networking - are priceless. I told the school they are a model of how education will look in the future as Asia continues to rise to match and surpass the American economy.

When I went down stair wells, students coming up the steps spontaneously said hello to me and shook my hand! When I was unable to find the cafeteria, one of the students walked me to it. Nobody prompted them to do it.

"Social skills" did it.

I had a great visit with Fr. Campion Baer who teaches economics there. He takes a global approach to economics; students share first-hand economic information from their countries. Imagine the learning from their sharing!

The presence of foreign students also was a sign of the collapse of our middle class. At one time, it had the surplus finds to afford private education ($28,000 / year) like this. The families of the Asian students do.

Likely, they recognize the high value of solid educational foundations early in life and are willing to invest in them to preserve and advance their families.

In fairness to SLS, they have a scholarship program that will cover all of the costs of an applicant without funds who has the desire and abilities to benefit from such a dynamic school.

To my surprise, at the end of the accreditation - they were fully accredited by us - the Rector privately invited me to become an official Ambassador of the school! I have accepted this honor.

This means that I will represent SLS at professional conferences. It also means my wife Jane and I will take part in the 150th anniversary celebrations of SLS this year.

I look forward to learning more about SLS, its teachers and students - and becoming part of its story, tradition, values.

The website is www.stlawrence.edu Check it out.

Dr. Paul Rux

No comments: