Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Chaos Theory Versus Mechnical Leadership and Management

Matthew, this is fascinating and a very good job.  What "grabs" me in particular is your observation that "actions speak louder than words."  Yes, as I learned when I lived in New York City over four years, "Watch what I do, not what I say."  Example, doing counts, not blather, fake, phony hype.
Also,  our behaviors set standards, as you observe here.

Let me quibble with one point you make.  You claim leadership in one word is "action."  I am of the opinion that leadership is also knowing when not to take action.  I apply Chaotics, Chaos Theory, also to situations.  This is the idea that systems are self-organizing, e.g. Theory of Evolution of Darwin.  Or as we say, "Water needs to find its own level." 

Americans are too quick to take action, which reflects our Industrial Revolution heritage, in which we feel we can develop a toolbox of techniques to fix things in proactive fashion. 

Rather, in a Knowledge Economy, we need to step back and let Knowledge Workers "lead the charge" from time to time to drive competitive innovation. 

Yes, I know this is not mainstream thinking; check out Margaret Wheatley's writings on Chaos Theory and how it relates to leadership and management.  I am not faulting you.  I am only encouraging you to continue your obvious interest in this subject!  Good job and good luck!   Dr. Rux 

No comments: